Home Polls Being Unapologetically Yourself: Authentic Leadership Poll Results

Being Unapologetically Yourself: Authentic Leadership Poll Results

How we present ourselves at work may not always align with our preferences. Some of us would, in a perfect scenario, swap skirts or slacks for sweatpants. But alas, we live in a professional world. Does that mean we’re adjusting our personalities, too?

CARRYING CONFIDENCE

A recent WO poll found that most of our readers are unapologetically themselves at work. While that may not mean wearing slippers in the office, it does mean that respondents aren’t feeling the pressure to conform to an altered version of themselves.

Almost three-quarters (73%) of respondents said they rarely or never adjust their personality at work. Of that group, 18% said they used to alter the way they conducted themselves at work, but no longer do so.

READY TO LEAD

We also asked if our readers felt confident in taking on leadership roles; more than half (59%) responded with a strong “yes.” One respondent said that “taking a seat at the table when it’s offered, doing the work required and showing up on time” has helped them be recognized as leadership material.

Ninety-five percent of the respondents to this WO Pop-up Poll were women, with about 60% noting they were ODs and the other 40% non-OD females. About half (52%) said they work in independent optometry practices, and 24% work in MD-owned, hospital or larger clinic settings. Fourteen percent said they worked in corporate-affiliated settings. The remaining 10% said they work in academic settings, marketing, consulting and non-profit centers.

 

Have a poll idea? Curious about something? Email us here.

Check out past WO polls and responses here.

Featured photo credit: Getty Images, Natee127

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Guest Editorial: A ‘Thank You’ to My Continued Supporters

Guest editorial by Dr. Maryam Jabbar, Optometrist + Lecturer at The University of Faisalabad, Pakistan I am a young optometrist and researcher from Pakistan. I...

Women in the News — June 2024

Women In Optometry regularly recognizes the awards and accomplishments of women ODs in the profession and in their communities in the “Women in the News”...

Bausch + Lomb INFUSE® for Astigmatism Silicone Hydrogel Daily Disposable Contact Lenses Introduced in the U.S.

Bausch + Lomb Corporation has announced the U.S. introduction of Bausch + Lomb INFUSE for Astigmatism daily disposable contact lenses. Engineered with a next-generation...

New, Larger Location Prompts Phase of New Growth

When Jessica Yannelli, OD, looked for a home for Precision Eye Care, her new cold start practice 10 years ago, location and affordability were at the...